Like art, all of life is a collaboration. It's a collaboration of choices. This artist chose chairs for the canvas, a restaurant to display the art, and a type of paint that would adhere well to the wood of the chair to produce these lovely works of art. And there is the bonus of functionality to this art.
All the elements work together, and they came together because of the choices of the artist. And the artist made these choices, and not some others, because of a combination of the intent to create the beautiful chairs as well as the skill to implement that intent.
Life is like that. We are continually making choices, and implementing them, sometimes with a lot of skill, and sometimes...not so much skill. But the choice, the intent, is always there. We can choose consciously, or by default, but the choice is always there. If we choose by default, the art of our life may seem a bit unorganized, or non-productive, or scattered, or maybe it just doesn't work. Like a piece of art that just didn't come together well.
Perhaps it is time to choose with conscious awareness, which is the initial step in the process of collaboration.
Here are a few tips to ensure success in the collaboration process:
- Remember that choices are not meant to be a reaction to life, but instead a proactive tool to create. Do not make choices nor act on those choices when in reactive mode. Instead, pause for all long as it takes.
- Choosing wisely happens when you are aware of what your are thinking and feeling, and what your beliefs are. This takes instrospection. Take time every day to check in with yourself and notice what is happening inside of you.
- Choosing wisely happens when you are calm and at peace. If you aren't calm and at peace, I highly recommend the practice of meditation. If you don't know how to meditate, or don't feel as if you are successful at it, take a class or hire a coach to teach you.
- If you don't feel as if you have choices in life, get some help.
- Once the choices are made, act on them by using tools and skills to implement those choices. Just as an artist begins by learning the basics of his craft, then building upon those skills, so do we begin by learning the basics of life and building on them, ever enlarging our skill set. You can learn new skills by taking a class, reading a book, hiring a coach or joining a support group.
Affirmation: I choose wisely today, from a place of peace and calm, and implement my choices to create the wonderful work of art that is my life!